Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Golden Child

Dear Family,

It has been brought to my attention that some of you have come to know me as the "golden child". I think this is because I am the youngest of six children and therefore have five older siblings who love me and have helped raise me throughout my adolescent years. It baffles me though, because the term "golden child" is used with a negative connotation which isn't deserving of the relationship i have built with each of you.

I have been thinking long and hard this past week and have come to the conclusion that I am not "the "golden child" for multiple reasons.

Firstly: I googled the definition of "golden child" and discovered that the golden child is African American. (See picture below) I am very much Caucasian and therefore can not be the golden child.



Secondly: When I think of a golden child I think of a person who is privileged by his or her parents and has the opportunity of doing whatever his or her heart desires. If this is the definition of a golden child, then the golden child in my family must be either Steve or Mike.

Steve was able to stay at home throughout college. He had his own room and a hot meal always waiting for him whenever he got hungry. Now that he has matured, he is out seeing the world and living the dream. He may be the golden child.

Mike is the third eldest in our family. Not only was he able to experience the love that my parents had for him, but he was also able to experience the love that Ivon and Laura had for him. He was the baby of the family at a time when the family was small enough for mom and dad to still give him all of the love and devotion that he needed topped with the playfulness of Laura and Ivon. He may be the golden child.

I'm not saying the golden child is Steve and I'm not saying the golden child is Mike. Once this thing blows over and the real golden child is revealed. I want my family to know that I'm going to be sensitive enough not to discriminate against Steve or Mike because of their privileged status. I love them and I will always love them. I hope my family will follow after me and do the same.

Merry Christmas :-)

18 comments:

neffie said...

HAHAHA!!! That was so funny! I loved the photo and the arguments. Sure makes me think.... who really is the Golden Child? You have some valid arguments but I think you left out myself. what's up with that? Am I not good enough to be considered ;-)

You're so funny Derek!

Sherri said...

Your killing me...where do you come up with this stuff..just keep it up..I love it!

Laura said...

Hilarious, but what about me? I am the first born. I"d LOVE to be the caucasian golden child.

Ivon said...

All I can say is "Wow"

The Steve said...

The golden child has persuasive powers over others. You forget the detail of me paying for most of those hot meals, and I was kicked out of the house.

Mike must be the golden child because of his persuasive powers. He was advertising Obama during the election on his blog afterall, and guess who the American people chose ? Yes-Bama !

Sherri said...

I am going to post who our golden child is later today...I have to put some thought into it!

Laura said...

I'm disappointed there are not more comments. You crack me up!

Ivon said...

I know I was the golden child in my family growing up. All we could afford was fool's gold, so does that make me the foolish golden child?

Kim said...

Well, I'm the one that everybody texts.....

The Steve said...

Kim, at least you get text messages...especially from my family. They tell me to play in the snow and to quit bugging them :(

Kim said...

Well, you do have some good snow up there. I used to live near Anchorage ~ best sledding I've ever done!

Kim said...

I can't imagine them actually saying that though so I think you're pulling my leg.....

Laura said...

No Kim, I remember my parents telling him that. Poor Stevie Poo.....
And you're right, you do get all the texts. I think YOU might be the golden child.

neffie said...

He's not pulling your leg Kim.... He just has such bad timing with his txts & calls. :-)

Kim said...

Well then thank goodness there's so much snow to play in :-)

Sherri said...

Kim...how you connected with this GREAT family????
Beware!
If your connected to them...I automatically think your connected to me!

Sherri said...

Oh and I know who our family golden child is...I will reveal it soon! but the bad news is I wasn't even in the running! =(

Kim said...

We are great friends, past visiting teachers and generally delirious over Twilight ~ bring it on!